Alright! I guess it's time to go there. I received a message last week from a follower who was "appalled at my decision to misguide people in their Whole 30 journey." Yikes, right?
First, before I dive into this controversial topic, I think it's important to note that I am NOT a nutritionist, a certified trainer, or a fitness expert. In fact my qualifications extend to my experiences as a middle school teacher. But I am a coach who has kept off 25 pounds over the past 4 years, and experienced amazing emotional transformations the first time she completed Whole 30.
So I can only speak from personal experience.
With that being said, I think it's also important to understand that the Whole 30 program intimidated the heck out of me for a long time. I actually contemplated completing it for about a year before I actually took the leap. What made me leap? I found myself sneaking the kid's candy at 11 pm at night. Not because I was hungry, but because I was a sugar addict.
Whole30, with shakeology, helped me eliminate my need for sugar.
In my second round of Whole 30, I can tell you with complete honesty that my choice to continue drinking shakeology is one that I stand firm by. Here are my top four reasons for continuing to drink shakeology throughout the program.
1. Rise and Shine! I have always been the coach who wakes really early. When the alarm goes off at 5:30 am, I start my day (I'd like to say I jump right out of bed, but that's not always the case!) I spend the morning reading personal development, followed by a morning workout, and then the rush of the week begins. I don't go to bed until about 11 pm so my day is LONG. I have found that sticking to three meals a day for me, is pretty difficult. Shakeology is a complete meal in itself that I enjoy during the rush of the morning! Right after my workout, I've replenished my system with much needed nutrients!
2. Shakeology is Convenient: Look. As much as I would love to tell you that I am a master in the kitchen and can prep with the best of them, we all know that's a lie. Life happens sometimes, but I know that I can get my protein quickly when I need it most. And trust me, I know that Whole 30 isn't about "convenience" but I don't find it necessary to overcomplicate.
3. This Ain't Yo Mama's Protein: I've been drinking shakeology for four years. I can talk about the benefits- increased energy, long term weight loss, improved digestion, but what I really love about shakeology is that it makes healthy, easy. I know that it's loaded with nutrients that my body needs when I need to fill in the gaps. And no matter what program I follow, shakeology will be a part of it. Period. It's nutrition. Simplified. Why mess with a good thing?
4. I KNOW what WORKS for me: I drink it daily. It's the healthiest meal a day I don't think about.
But Katy, it says NO. You broke the rules!
So that might be the case, but I will tell you the results I've experienced through the first and now the second round are exactly how the author describes them in the book. If that makes me a rule breaker, then eh, so be it.
Round 2, Day 14 and happy to report that with the use of shakeology this is my experience so far:
1. Falling asleep faster and waking up more rested before the alarm goes off!
2. Reduced cravings, especially for sugar
3. Feeling full between meals
4. Clarity throughout the work day. I am able to stay focused!
5. Pushed past the weight loss plateau!
6. Improved stamina through my workouts!
So if you are interested in completing the Whole 30 program. Do you research. It's an intense commitment. And the authors are ADAMANT about following it 100%. My decision to continue drinking shakeology was THE BEST choice for me.