She was kind enough to let me share this recipe with you. Did I mention the muffins are gluten free!
From working with nut meals I have learned that whole nut meal makes a heartier muffin. Conversely, a blanched nut meal usually comes out a bit more delicate. Brands vary in grind as well. If you grind your own, you obviously have control. At this point, I do not have a food processor so I buy pre-packaged meal, choosing courseness based on my desire for a finer or heartier muffin.
Oh and yes, yes, yes! Store your leftover almond nut meal in the fridge or freezer. Nuts go rancid, especially after being ground.
Enjoy, relax and breathe in the change of seasons.
Chocolate-Banana Almond Flour MuffinsAdapted from a recipe at Honest Fare
- 2 1/4 cups of almond meal or almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice, or a mix of cinnamon, ginger, allspice and clove in diminishing proportions
- 3 medium bananas + another for slicing on top
- 2 eggs (I recommend pastured. Get them from a farmer, please!)
- 1/3 cup honey or sugar (In all honesty, I prefer a mix of both.)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch sea salt
- a handful of dark chocolate chips or a few chocolate discs
- Coconut oil, light olive or butter for greasing (I prefer coconut for its flavor.)
1. Preheat your oven to 300. Grease your muffin pan.
2. Sift together, or mix well with a fork(if you are lazy like me), the dry ingredients: almond meal, baking powder, salt, spices.
3. Using an electric mixer or a really fast hand, whisk together bananas, eggs and honey/sugar until fluffy.
4. Fold in dry ingredients.
5. Fill a muffin pan with batter. Fill most of way as they will not rise too much.
6. Tuck 2-4 chocolate chips in each muffin. Just a little goes a long way in this muffin.
7. If you slice bananas and place on top now they will look like the picture below. You may wish to wait until they have cooked halfway and they will look closer to above pic.
8. Bake 30-35 minutes until a toothpick (or chopstick) comes out clean. These WILL cook a bit while cooling. Go easy on them.
9. Makes 12 little treats.