1 large sweet yellow onion, chopped
1 lb 99% fat free ground turkey breast or ground chicken
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
3 large or 4 small zucchini, sliced thinly lengthwise
24 oz low-fat or 1% or 2% cottage cheese
1 jar of spaghetti sauce or 1 large can of diced tomotos
Non-fat or low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Combine onion, ground turkey breast, sea salt, black pepper and garlic powder in a skillet over medium heat, cooking the turkey until it is no longer pink.
2. Layer zucchini in the bottom of your lasagna pan (I would suggest a more substantial pan, such as ceramic) just as you would lasagna noodles, covering any gaps with additional slices of zucchini.
3. Spread 12 oz of cottage cheese over the layer of zucchini.
4. Add ground turkey mixture over cottage cheese, careful to spread turkey evenly.
5. Layer approximately 1/3 of the spaghetti sauce over the cottage cheese and turkey mixture.
6. Repeat steps 2-5.
7. Place your last layer of zucchini over the second layer of cottage cheese, turkey mixture and cottage cheese.
8. Top with tomato spaghetti sauce and add shredded cheese.
9. Cover with tinfoil and bake in oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
10. Remove tinfoil and bake for an additional 5 minutes at 350 degrees to brown cheese.
11. Let rest for approximately 10 minutes and Enjoy!
He & She Tip: This lasagna will be a little runny because of the consistency of the tomato sauce, moisture in the cottage cheese and the amount of water that zucchini hold. I found that I just scooped out my lasagna and the excess liquid stayed in my pan.
Approximate Nutritional Information:
6 servings, 380 calories, 12.5 g fat, 18.5g carbs, 48.8g protein.